Public Speaking - The Personal Experience (Part 2/3)

Okay... so were up to part 2 of the 3 part series. Today I am going to share my experience with public speaking which involved giving a speech to my lecturer and fellow peers... Now if your someone like me, the slight mention of speech is unsettling - have a read and see what happened and how I went.

Sitting in the lecture theater, I was the first of the day, actually second. I sat there listening to a fellow peer talk and all the while someone had a clock counting down the time until this person finished their speech - which really didn't help with my nerves. So realizing I wasn't going to get out of it, I decided I would try to have fun with it. There was no way I could avoid it - I had to do it at some point and as I stood up and moved to the lectern it happened...

No I didn't feint! When I got up there I neatened myself up, compiled myself (taking a series of deep breaths) and opened my mouth to speak. Surprisingly I began talking, the nerves that also kept me glued to my chair were gone - I even smiled during my speech. Realizing half way through that I was totally in control, I became more and more confident and eventually stopped thinking about nerves, stuffing up or anything except delivering my speech and not going over time.

At one point, I felt my face slightly go red but I shrugged it off, concentrating on my speech and honestly, it disappeared without anyone even caring, not even myself. As far as I could see, the audience wasn't asleep and they weren't in their underwear either (since I chose not to bask in that common nerve reducing tactic)... As I finished my final line, I felt as if this huge weight had been lifted off me and suddenly I realized - What the hell was I so afraid about? The people in your audience aren't going to sit there thinking - Oh God I hope he/she screws up horribly! No, they are their to hear you talk and I certainly accomplished something I didn't think I would be able to do very easily.


The biggest problem with giving a speech is fear, we don't know what to expect when we get up there but honestly it's half the fun. Learning to become more confident with speaking in public will come in time but for now, I have survived and I think I got a good grade too. Tomorrow I will bring out part 3 of the series with a small reflection on fear/nerves and a little summary.

Feel free to ask any questions in the comments box and I will answer them as best as I can.

Part 2/3 - Public Speaking Mini-Series

Written by Christopher Newman

1 comments:

Karl Perera June 26, 2009 at 5:32 PM  

Great Chris, I love the personal touch in this post. I think it will help people out trmendously.

Thanks for reminding me how to write in such a personal way...

Post a Comment

Search

Author

My photo
Self help and development enthusiast. My name is Chris and I live in Queensland, Australia. Hope I can help you out! :D

Newsletter Signup!

Click to signup! You may need to enable pop ups on this site for the form to work properly.

Self Development Store

If you would like to browse and purchase any resources you can now do so from our store, available below or in the menu bar on each page. The store is in collaboration with Amazon so your saving on products and still getting great service!

Self Development Store

Support Us

If you really enjoyed an article on this blog, please keep us online!

Follow Us

Members